Thank you for visiting Finding Your Way!
Thank you for visiting Finding Your Way!
Valerie Galante, Ph.D., M.Div.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist &
Ordained Interfaith Minister
About My Credentials
* I earned a Ph.D. in Clinical and School Psychology. A Ph.D. is a scientist-practitioner degree, meaning that it is founded on the ideology that trained professional psychologists should be knowledgeable in both research and clinical practice and are able to successfully integrate science and practice. Clinical Psychology is a psychological specialty area that provides continuing and comprehensive mental and behavioral health care for individuals and families; consultation to agencies and communities; training, education and supervision; and research-based practice. School Psychology is a specialty area focusing on learning and behavior to help people of all ages to succeed academically, socially, behaviorally, and emotionally.
* I am a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, which means I had to pass rigorous National and State Examinations in order to be allowed to legally, ethically provide professional services independently. These services include assessing, diagnosing and intervening for the full range of psychological issues and conditions. Psychological Assessment is a process of testing that uses a combination of techniques to help arrive at some hypotheses about a person and their behavior, personality and capabilities (e.g., intellectual ability, memory, etc.). Psychologists are the only mental health professionals that possess the training and license to administer and interpret psychological assessments.
* I have 25+ years of diverse experience. I have mindfully made it my life’s work to achieve beyond the required knowledge, skills and abilities in order to provide services to people from all walks of life. I have deliberately chosen to serve traditionally under-served populations including people at all socio-economic levels, incarcerated people, at-risk youth, Native Americans on the reservation and military members. I have served people with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, people from many different religious/spiritual traditions, and from every sexual orientation – LGBT. My clients have presented with the full range of human challenges and problems, and the full range of formally diagnosed psychological disorders.
* I have worked in varied settings including private practice, hospitals, substance abuse rehab centers, schools, colleges & universities, community-based centers, prisons, and military bases. I have routinely intervened with everyday stresses as well as serious crises. I am prepared to confidently and competently handle your circumstances.
* My psychotherapeutic orientation is EVIDENCE-BASED, meaning that it has been proven to work effectively after being subjected to rigorous research. I am thoroughly trained in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness-based CBT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Positive Psychology, Strength-Based/ Solution-Focused Interventions, Effective Communication and Conflict Resolution Strategies.
* I am ordained by the All Faiths Seminary International in New York City where I completed a Masters Degree in Spiritual Counseling as I studied and experienced all faith traditions of the world.
* I am a Facilitator and Follower of A Course in Miracles, which means that I understand what I am and experience my life in accordance with the teachings. - and that includes manifesting miracles.
* Perhaps most importantly, I genuinely LOVE being of service to others. It is my PASSION to facilitate the growth and healing process; to empower, inspire and motivate my clients. I am warm, funny, engaging and comfortable navigating with you on whatever emotional journey you find yourself experiencing - without either one of us getting lost! :-)
* Clients who choose to work with me are ready and motivated to make positive changes in their lives. They understand that the quality of service provided is most important factor – not cost or convenience – because they want results. They believe they can change, and I believe that I can facilitate the changes they desire.
* Clients who choose to work with me value...
- personal responsibility and accountability.
- professional office space.
- excellent clinical services.
- technology and uses it regularly.
* Clients who choose to work with me understand...
- the importance of their past experiences on their present issues.
- that they are responsible for their own growth.
- my professional boundaries and office policies.
- that I won’t give them answers, but I will guide them in the process.
* Clients who choose to work with me appreciate…
- my education
- my expertise and life experience
- that change is a process
- that we are in a collaborative relationship.
* Clients who choose to work with me agree to...
- pay my full fee at the beginning of every sessions.
- arrive on time to sessions.
- attend therapy on a regular basis.